Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reflections on Mercyhurst in Ireland

So I’m sitting here in Erie, in my office at Mercyhurst College, and I’m reflecting on my time in Dungarvan. I spent close to 5 weeks with a group of incredibly curious and dedicated students, amazing colleagues, and a wealth of new friends in Ireland. As I sit here now, I am asking myself what could have been better, or what might have made the experience richer. It may sound hard to believe, but I’m hard pressed to think of any ways to improve on the experience we had. Things can always be tweaked, and I’m sure things will change as this program continues to move forward, but this first year, I think, couldn’t have been better. All the people involved on both sides of the pond were amazing. Students and faculty came away from Dungarvan changed. We grew, matured, and learned. Before we departed Dungarvan we hosted a final reception to offer our thanks to the people of Dungarvan. We presented plaques and certificates, sang songs, and gave speeches. It could in no way fully express our gratitude or compensate for the memories we will take with us. Mercyhusrt in Ireland. It’s a transformational experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment