Saturday, March 16, 2013

Clomea is Worth Seeing (and worth going to see).

Birds in the bog along the bike path
This morning has been the best weather we have had so far. It must be 65 degrees at least. Or maybe 50. Whatever, it is a lovely day, “ finally, thanks be to God” (as the locals say). The sun is bright and the sky is blue. So this morning, under the circumstances, I decided to go for a stroll along the bike path that begins in Abbeyside. I had walked out a good way three years ago, but never made it out to Clomea Beach, which is the end of the bike path on that leg. It was a bit brisk as I started out, but the sun continued to warm me, and the other walkers and bikers drew me forward. Needless to say, my stroll turned into a more substantial hike. The walk is really quite lovely. In places it is tree-lined, and in other places it weaves its way through a bog. It has a few bridges and an underpass, winds through farmer’s fields, and past cows and rows of vegetables. In the background to the north are the Comeragh Mountains and to the south, Helvick Head peaks through the scrub brush from time to time. It is easily enough to sustain me on such a pleasant day.

Part of the walk I spent reflecting on things at home, and the people I care about there. Some of the walk I remember the fun “craic” we had watching the Cheltenham horse races yesterday, and thinking about the plans for St. Patrick’s Day in Dungarvan tomorrow. The time went quickly, and soon (just over an hour) I made it to the end of the trail and a most beautiful beach. It was well worth the trip.

During last class, after discussing Yeats’s “September 1913” and “Adam’s Curse,” the students pondered if things in life are more meaningful when they are harder to get. Maybe Yeats is saying that beauty only comes with hard work. With great effort comes great things. Samuel Johnson, on the other hand, once said about Giant’s Causeway, "Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see." Johnson really didn’t care much for travels in Ireland, and I wouldn’t let his words keep anyone from seeing Giant’s Causeway. And anyway, this morning, I felt that the trip there was half the fun.



Clomea Beach, looking east

Helvick Head, to the west


No comments:

Post a Comment