Monday, March 11, 2013

Highlights from "Dear Dirty Dublin"





Oscar Wilde Having a Relax

Students at the Mercy
International Center
So I’ve been to Dublin now seven times. That is an amazing thing. Five of those times have been with students. Yet even though I’ve been there a good number of times, most every time I go, I do similar things. Groups of students want to see the same things it seems: Temple Bar, Trinity College, Dublin Castle, the General Post Office, Christchurch, St. Patrick’s, and the Kilmainham Gaol. This time, though, I took a slightly different path, and it was well worth it. I made it to Merrion Square to see the famous Oscar Wilde statue, that I have never seen before (mostly because I usually wander St. Stephen’s Green looking for it). I guess as hard as one might try, one can’t really find things where they are not. But, by looking on a map, for once, I found it without trouble. I also came upon Sweny’s Chemist shop made famous in Ulysses:“He waited by the counter, inhaling the keen reek of drugs, the dusty dry smell of sponges and loofahs. ”


Reed Getting in Touch with his Inner Joyce

I bought no lemon soap, but I promised myself that if I ever return to Dublin, for an eighth time God willing, I will stop here again to hear the nightly readings from Joyce’s work. This time around I also made it the Chester Beatty Library, where there are ancient texts on papyrus dating from 150 A.D., and I also made it to O’Neil’s for fish and chips (maybe just as amazing as the papyrus). While it was wet and cold the whole time we were there, these bright spots were worth the struggles with the weather. Finally, as always, I was delighted to be able to show the students the International Mercy Center on Baggot Street. For some, it was very meaningful. On Sundays they do a mass in Irish, and it was wonderful to listen to the people after mass talking in Irish. They were pleased to see our students, and as we left the sun peaked through the clouds for about 3 full minutes.

Now we are back in Dungarvan. Many of us are very happy to be home (in our home away from home) away from the noise and bustle of city life. Dublin has much to offer, but like any big city, it can be exhausting. Yet, as always, it was worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment