Friday, March 22, 2013

Rainy Days and Fridays

Yesterday it rained like crazy. My walk back from class to the townhouses was quite an experience. I stopped by the market on the way home, buying fishcakes, peas, pasta, and brown bread, and was looking forward to a nice warm meal in, on a cold and rainy night out. Unfortunately, about a block after I left the market, the sky really opened up and the winds came whipping through town, scattering plastic buckets, rakes, and shovels from outside Tom Curran’s Hardware, and ripping umbrellas out of shopper’s hands. The wind and rain didn’t really let up for hours. For a while I inched along, ducking under awnings, or in shops, but ultimately I just decided to go for it. I was wet already, and the dinner in my bag was calling to be cooked. I pressed on. In hindsight, that may have been the wrong decision though; I soon regretted it. The wind nearly knocked me off my feet, my hood kept getting whipped off my head, and my shoes were drenched. It was madness. When I finally returned to the warmth and security of the townhouse, I kicked off my wet shoes, hung up my drenched coat, and unpacked my bags from the market. A warm cup of tea and some whirred pea and minty soup I had left over were the first order of business. And the microwave was the fastest means to that end. Toasted brown bread and butter rounded things out nicely. The fishcakes and peas would keep till tomorrow. I just wanted something warm at this point, and soup, tea, and toast satisfied.

The rain didn’t let up all night, and by noon today it was getting insulting. A day trip to some nearby ruins and a castle had to be postponed until tomorrow. But wait. Maybe it’s not all bad. Suddenly today was open. Reading, grading, and creating the final exam for my class needed done. Answering a few emails was also on the docket. And fishcakes and peas for lunch. Oh yes. Perfect. Who ever said rainy days get you down?


No comments:

Post a Comment