Saturday, March 2, 2013

Good Morning Dungarvan

Kilkenny Castle
What a fine, first day in Ireland. We were greeted by Tom Keith, Joe O’Flaherty, Damien Geoghegan, Dr. Hosey, and Dr. McGurk at the airport, treated to a fine Irish breakfast at Bewley’s (including white and black pudding and rashers), toured Kilkenney Castle, introduced to the Park Hotel in Dungarvan by Pierce Flynn, and were tucked away in our ample lodgings for a much deserved rest. This morning we will tour Dungarvan, be officially welcomed by the town, and later have a welcome reception at Merry’s Pub downtown. What could be a better first impression of Ireland for our 32 students? I can think of none. This morning I awoke early, (5:00) and took my morning constitutional into town. I got some Euro at the ATM in Grattan Square, took a few early morning pictures, and walked along the quay. On my return to the Park, I was offered a morning coffee in the lobby and was asked to join a woman from Abbeyside who had surely spent the whole night awake. She was remembering her recently deceased brother. I had my coffee black while she finished her brandy. As you might guess, she was an absolute delight to talk to. Her memories of her family that had passed and her reflections on Irish politics, Dungarvan, and the economy were both insightful and refreshing. She had much to say about American politics as well, remembering Bill Clinton as “a handsome man and a gentleman,” and speaking at length about the improvements in perceptions of America under Barak Obama. She also knew immediately why I was in Dungarvan. She had much praise for Mercyhurst, John Deasey, and the students who we have brought in the past. I told her that this year’s group would not disappoint. When I finished my coffee, she wished me a good morning, and I wished her a good night. We both had a good laugh at that. And now let us see what the day will bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment